Friday, November 11, 2011

Lemon Pound Cake with Berries



This recipe is from a friend back home in Utah, she was my relief society president. She had me and my kids over for lunch one day, and she served this lemon pound cake for dessert. She's an amazing lady and she really watched over us while Rich was away at school.  Every time I make this cake I think of Marilyn.

Lemon Pound Cake
1 cup shortening
2 cups white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 grated lemon rinds
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk

Combine shortening, sugar, salt, eggs, lemon rinds and baking powder in mixer. Mix well. Alternate the milk and flour. Grease and flour two loaf pans (You have to grease and flour them very well!) Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Cover the loaves with foil the last 10 minutes of baking time.

Sauce: 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 1 cup of sugar. Mix well. Heat in microwave for 20 seconds. Then brush on top of warm loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment